Analytical Reflection on Oral Presentation

On the 16th of November 2017, I did a presentation with my team to ‘sell’ our solution to solving SIT’s electricity wastage woes. Honestly, I do not think that I have done well for it. I was spontaneous with my words, and had the tendency to go off-topic or beat around the bush. With only 3 key points on my slide and elaborations in my head, I brought the audience a full circle around the same point during the evaluations section. Moreover, everyone could see that I was nervous, as seen by a laser pointer that shakes uncontrollably each time I point at the screen.

Surely, my presentation could have been better. I could hold a script in my hand, but, to me, that’s very amateur. I would rather speak on the spot and be free to move. The best way to deliver a presentation is to be familiar with the content - to be one with the project. This way, the presentation would be more genuine.

According to what I have written in my first blogpost in this communications class, I mentioned about being nervous on ‘stage’, which causes me to stutter and mispronounce my words. I am so glad that in this presentation, I did not stutter or mispronounce words. This is all thanks to the amount of preparation that Team Conservo has done. I really appreciate the enthusiasm of my team for doing rehearsals after rehearsals and reorganizing the content flow for this presentation, which represents the great amount of effort we put into it. 

If there is one advice I could give to anyone about presentations, I would say that preparation is of utmost importance. Do you fight a battle without building up your strength and improving your fighting techniques? Certainly not! Likewise, rehearse hard, find areas in your presentation slides to improve upon, and keep practicing until you know your content inside out. People will know you have done it a thousand times if you can present on the spot to a random stranger, relying on nothing but your brain and mouth. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited on:
26 Nov 2017, 12.15am
26 Nov 2017, 12.21am
26 Nov 2017, 1.07am
2 Dec 2017, 12.40am

Comments

  1. Thanks, Keric, for this self critical reflection on your oral presentation and the notion of having adequate preparation. Your ideas resonate with us readers since nervousness is a common emotion associated with the OP. I'm also happy to learn that Team Conservo was serious and supportive in terms of rehearsals.

    Best wishes for your next presentation!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Formal Self-introductory Letter

Re-written Segment of Formal Report - Executive Summary